CFC’s Response to COVID-19
Based on information delivered from the CDC (Centre for Disease Control) we, at CrossFit Calgary hold the following beliefs and policies regarding the current Coronavirus outbreak:
The population most at risk are:
- It is not expected that most people will develop serious illness. The disease most seriously affects adults and older adults. Starting at 60, there is an increased risk of death and the risk increases with age. The highest risk of serious illness and death is in people older than 80.
- People with serious underlying health conditions also are more likely to develop serious outcomes, including death.
Recommendations for those at highest risk (population described above) are:
- Ensure supplies are on hand, like routine medications for blood pressure and diabetes.
- Have enough household items and groceries to be prepared to stay at home for a period.
- Avoid crowds, especially poorly ventilated spaces.
- Avoid non-essential plane trips.
What this means for the CrossFit Calgary community? The following are CrossFit Calgary’s policies to protect our community against the COVID-19 virus:
- Wipe down any and all surfaces touched with the disinfectant cleaners that are provided at the two cleaning stations on the gym floor after use.
- Wash your hands before and after classes.
- Use the hand sanitizer dispensers during classes.
- Sneeze or cough into your sleeve.
Should you have the following symptoms we are asking that you stay home until the symptoms resolve:
- persistent cough or sneezing
- sore throat
Protecting our community is paramount to us and part of that is keeping up with accurate, up to date and factual information. The CDC website is just the resource to provide such information and we encourage all of our members to use it as their main source of knowledge on COVID-19. You can also visit their Instagram page at @cdcgov where Dr. Nancy Messonnier gave a briefing on March 9 with the latest updates.