The 2013 CrossFit Games OPEN
A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to everyone that pushed themselves out of their comfort zones and participated in the 2013 CrossFit Games OPEN WODs.
CrossFit Calgary ended up qualifying 5 athletes and a team for Canada West Regionals
June 7-9, 2013
in Richmond, BC
The top 48 athletes qualified for Regionals.
Coach Brett finished 43rd
Coach Jason finished 47th
Coach Chelsea finished 5th
Alex Parker finished 25th
Shelly Fleming finished 44th
Coach Mike finished in 62nd and CFC members Alex Coates and Audra Arlain finished with placings of 78th and 87th respectively.
The CrossFit Calgary team will consist of the following athletes;
3 men - Coach Brett, Coach Jason, & Coach Mike
3 women - Coach Chelsea, Alex Parker & Audra Arlain
We couldn’t be more proud to have this group of athletes representing the CrossFit Calgary community!
Here’s a quick recap of some of the AMAZING accomplishments experienced by our members during the 2013 CrossFit Games OPEN WODs;
- Scott Wilkinson PR’d his shoulder to overhead by 25lbs while warming up for WOD 13.2 and then proceeded to complete it 30 more times during the workout!
- Blaine Jansen nearly got arrested after going outside and throwing his shoe into the street in anger after tweaking his back in WOD 13.1. The cop that was driving by pulls over and proceeds to ask him….”You have no shirt on and you’re wearing no shoes. Do you know how crazy you look?” His response….”Lots of people say that about CrossFit” J
- Carolyn Gratton got her first chest to bar pull up during WOD 13.5. Her original intention was to finish the thrusters and then hang out for the remainder of the 4 minutes. After much encouragement from some spectators she gave it a shot. Her first attempt was very close so she switched her grip, thanks to a recommendation from Coach Chantal, tried one more time and BOOOM her chest was at the bar. SWEET!!!
- Sandy Pierpoint aggressively pounding out the thrusters in WOD 13.5. The look of determination on her face was priceless and totally inspiring!
- Michelle Hille, competing in her VERY FIRST CrossFit event, PR’d her shoulder to overhead in the warm up and then completed it 12 more times in the workout. Looks like that’s not a 1 rep max anymore!
- 15 year old Justin Lane, a member of our Teen’s program, participating in ALL of the Open WODs. Watching him attack each workout, week to week, with focus and determination was a true testament to his awesome work ethic and the strong coaching skills of our Teen’s class coaches.
- Kelsey Johannson, also competing in her VERY FIRST CrossFit event, using all of her focus and determination to try and get the 75lb barbell overhead in WOD 13.2 despite the fact that she’d never done it before. She wasn’t successful at getting the bar overhead but she was a HUGE success in our eyes because she NEVER QUIT and isn’t that really what CrossFit is all about…..being scared and trying it anyway? Right on Kelsey!!!
- Coach Jason finished 17th in WOD 13.1
- Coach Brett finished 13th in WOD 13.5
- Alex Parker finished 12th in WOD 13.2
- Our very own Olympic Weightlifting Coach Chris Lemky went WAY out of his comfort zone and completed all of the Open WODs. Kudos to him for putting it all out there to compete with the community. Also, he earned extra points for his consistent use of his asthma inhaler within the first 45 seconds of every WOD!
- Angela Lane competing in the same heat as her 15 year old son Justin in WOD 13.5. Such an awesome moment to see a family sharing CrossFit together. Trent, Angela’s husband and Justin’s father and a competitor in the Open as well, stood proudly capturing it all on video!!!!
Lastly, THANK YOU to all of the spectators that came out, week to week to cheer on their family and friends. You’re presence was crucial in their success as well as the success of the event as a whole!
Interested in going to cheer on the CFC Crew at Regionals?
Click here for more information regarding the CrossFit Games in general.
2012 CrossFit Games OPEN WODs
A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to everyone that participated in the CrossFit Games OPEN WODs.
CrossFit Calgary qualified 4 athletes and a team for Canada West Regionals
- Trevor Nicholson learning how to do Muscle-ups the first week of the Open and then proceeding to do 16 of them in WOD 12.4!
- Katie- Ann Berry PR’ing her Snatch at 75# and then doing it 8 times in total!
- Erin Graham getting 104 burpees in WOD 12.1 (3rd best female at CFC)
- Rhiannon Marshall getting a PR on both her power clean and push press at 75#, and doing it 23 times on WOD 12.3
- Rhiannon Marshall and Adelle Palmer both using the 14# ball for the first time EVER for WOD 12.4 and doing 140 and 77 wallballs respectively.
- Adelle Palmer finishing 188 in the WORLD in her age category.
- Coach Evan finishing 10th in Canada West for WOD 12.1 with 130 burpees.
- Jason Burke and Nolan Brown finishing 59th and 39th in Canada West on WOD 12.2 with 71 and 74 snatches respectively.
- Sarah Booth for snatching 95% of her 1RM 20 times in 12.2
- Kevin Hehn for lifting his 1RM Snatch 8 times in WOD 12.2
- Trevor Nicholson for lifting his 1RM Snatch 14 times in WOD 12.2
- Trent Lane for lifting his 1RM Snatch 15 times in WOD 12.2
- Coach Brett came in 3rd in Western Canada on WOD 12.1 with 135 reps
- Coach Chelsea came in 2nd in Western Canada on WOD 12.1 with 123 reps and 3rd in Western Canada on WOD 12.5 with 127 reps
- Coach Aly stepped far out of her comfort zone to determine that Burpees and singlets do not go together!
A Quick Note From Coach Brett
Hey CFC Crew,
Click here for more information regarding the CrossFit Games in general.
2011 Reebok CrossFit Games: Canada West Regionals
The 2011 Reebok CrossFit Games Canada West Regionals were held May 27 - 29, 2011 in Vancouver, BC. CrossFit Calgary was proud to be represented by numerous individual athletes as well as our Affiliate Team. Our Team, made up of Tahylor Law, Mike Sydoryk, Cory Wallin, Audra Arlain, Kim LaPlante and Rebecca Jansen placed 3rd overall.
In the Women’s category, CFC athlete Chelsea MIller finished 4th. On the Men’s side, Coach DJ finished 11th, Coach Taylor finished 18th and CFC athlete David Mullback finished 23rd.
Congratulations to ALL of you! Thank you for representing us well and making us all VERY Proud!
Visit the 2011 Reebok CrossFit Games Canada West Regionals Website for results and video archive of the weekend.
2010 CrossFit Games
In 2010 CrossFit Calgary sent their top ranked (#1 in Canada) Affiliate Team to the 2010 CrossFit Games. CFC Coach DJ Wickham qualified for the Games (one of 50 males in the World earning the honor) along with OPT Coach Michael FitzGerald. James “OPT” FitzGerald, CFC co-owner, also qualified as the winner of the 2007 CrossFit Games.
The 2010 CrossFit Games were held on July 16-18 at the Home Depot Center in Carson (LA), CA. Visit the 2010 CrossFit Games website for results, video archive, etc.
Team CFC - Crowned Fittest Team in Canada!
Taylor, Ali, Tahylor, Stacey, Rebecca and Blaine
Coach DJ Wickham # 6 at Regionals… and going to the Games!
Video of DJ featured on crossfit.com
Sectional Qualifiers for Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba
were held on March 27, 28, 2010 in Edmonton, AB
Regional Qualifiers for Canada
were held on May 28-30, 2010 in Okotoks, AB
2009 CrossFit Games
In 2009 CrossFit Calgary hosted the Western Canada Regionals, sending 6 athletes to the 2009 CrossFit Games including CFC Coach DJ Wickham, OPT coach Michael FitzGerald, OPT client Katy Josephs and Calgarian Lauren Pryor.
Congratulations to the top 6 qualifiers
A photo album of the qualifier weekend is now up.
The western Canadian CrossFit qualifiers for 2009 took place on May 2nd and 3rd at CrossFit Calgary HQ. The qualifier which occured over a period of 2 days was an opportunity for everyone interested to test their level of fitness – CrossFit style.
It was a competition to determine 3 males and 3 females that will represent western Canada at the CF Games in July in Aromas, California but as with CrossFit philosophy, it was also an opportunity to share in a great weekend with all other exercise enthusiasts. All workouts could be scaled but one must complete all workouts without scaling in order to qualify for the CF games in July.
As in our belief, these games are for EVERYONE of all abilities; if you think they are only for high level fitness enthusiasts you are mistaken. We believe in our teaching as well as in our competitions that CrossFit is for all, and that the competition differs by degree only, not kind.
QUALIFIER WOD INFORMATION IS READY! CLICK HERE TO VIEW.
FOR THE VIDEO MOVEMENT STANDARDS, CLICK HERE TO VIEW.